The WOW! Awards – Protecting Your Privacy
Our Commitment To Your Privacy
We are committed to protecting the personal information that we collect about you and the conditions that apply when you visit our website.
This privacy notice explains in detail the types of personal data we may collect about you when you interact with us. It also explains how we store and handle it and keep it safe.
This policy is issued as part of our compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation which comes into effect on 25th May 2018. We hope that the following sections will answer any questions that you have but if not, then please do get in touch with us. You can find our contact details at the bottom of this notice.
2. What is The WOW! Awards
The WOW! Awards is a trading name of The WOW Awards Limited, a company registered in the UK which we will refer to as the Company in this document.
The purpose of the Company is to raise standards of customer service. We do this by providing systems for customers to tell us (ie nominate) when they have received excellent customer service. By recognising the achievement of individuals, teams and companies that have been nominated we encourage people to take pride in their work and deliver more great service in the future.
3. Explaining the legal bases we rely on for keeping data
The law sets out a number of different reason for which we may collect and process personal data.
In specific situations, we collect and process your data with your consent. For example, if you tick a box to receive information from us. We will always make it clear what your data will be used for. This will most likely apply to people who wish to be connected with the Company or receive information.
We may need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations. For example, if you are a customer of or a supplier to the Company the we will collect your personal data so that we can meet our contractual obligations.
In some cases, we may be required by law to collect and process your data.
In this situation, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way that would be considered reasonable to the running of our business and which does not affect your rights, freedom or interests. For example, we may use your personal details to keep you informed of news, developments and events that we feel would be of value to you.
4. When do we collect your personal data?
- When you contact us through our website and consent to us keeping your data.
- When you become a customer or supplier.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you contact us by any means with queries or requests.
- When you make any kind of appointment with us or attend an event for example our Awards Ceremony.
- When you choose to complete any survey that we send to you.
- When you make a nomination for The WOW! Awards.
- When you’ve given a third-party permission to share your information with us.
5. What sort of personal data do we collect and how do we use it?
- If you have made a nomination for The WOW! Awards we will ask you for your name, email address and/or your telephone number. This information is shared with the company that employs the person you have nominated. This data is used if we need to make contact with you to clarify your nomination and keep you informed about the progress of your nomination. Your contact details will not be made public without your consent. It is extremely valuable to the person being nominated if they can know your name as the customer who nominated them for The WOW! Awards. If you have consented to us using your name then we may show your name only with the nomination on a certificate, on our website and in our communications eg press releases, publications, training materials and books.
- If you are someone we trade with or have expressed an interest in trading with us we will hold your name and contact details and keep a record of any communication with you. We would consider that being given a business card by you is your consent to us holding your personal data. If you have attended one of our events, then we may also keep a record of your dietary requirements. We consider the holding of this data to be a legitimate interest. We may use this data to keep you informed of services and events that we feel would be of value to you. We do not share your data with any other party.
If you wish to change how we use your data, you’ll find details in “What are my rights?” section below.
If you choose not to share your personal details with us, or refuse contact permissions, then we might not be able to provide you with some of the services that you’ve asked for.
Sometimes we may need to share some of your details with a third party, for example to arrange a delivery. Without sharing your data, we may be unable to fulfil your requests.
6. Combining your data for personalised direct marketing
We may receive and use data from third parties to whom you have given your consent to pass that data onto us, for example organisers of conferences that you have attended. We may combine this data with information that we have received directly from you.
7. How we protect your personal data
We know how important data security is to all our customers and contacts. With that in mind we will treat your data with the utmost care and respect.
All transactional areas of our websites are protected with “HTTPS” technology.
Access to all data is password-protected.
We do not store any sensitive data.
We regularly review our systems to make sure that your data is safe and protected from any possible attack. We also train all our people at regular intervals on the importance of data security and our procedures for protecting your data.
8. How long will we keep your personal data?
We will only keep your data for as long as is reasonably necessary and for the purpose for which it was collected.
Sensitive data such as credit card details are never retained beyond the processing of a transaction.
Contractual information relating to a customer or supplier will be kept for 10 years following the last transaction.
Data acquired with your consent will be kept for 10 years following the last communication with you.
9. Who do we share your personal data with?
We may share your personal detail with trusted third parties for example a delivery company if we are sending something to you. We will only provide the information that they need to complete their specific service.
We may work with trusted third parties such as IT companies who support our website and business systems. All third-party suppliers will be required to complete a Supplier Questionnaire to confirm that their people are adequately trained in Data Protection Compliance and that they would treat any data they have access to in accordance with our own standards and will not retain any data beyond the specific purpose for which they have been engaged.
We may occasionally be required to share data with law enforcement bodies for example if a fraud is believed to have occurred.
We will never share your data with any other third party without your consent.
10. Where your personal data may be processed?
Your data is stored on our servers in the European Economic Area (EEA). Some of our people may be working outside of the EEA and processing your data. We will ensure that all processing of data outside of the EEA receives the same protection as if it were being processed inside the EEA.
11. What are your rights over your personal data?
You have the right to request:-
- Access to the personal data that we hold about you without charge.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing.
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your data after you withdraw that consent.
- That we review any decision made based solely on automatic processing of your data (ie where no person has yet reviewed the outcome and criteria for the decision)
You can contact us to exercise any of these rights at any time as follows:-
- To ask for your personal data, please contact The Data Protection Officer, The WOW! Awards, Business and Technology Centre, Bessemer Drive, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England SG1 2DX or email DPO@TheWowAwards.co.uk. To ask for your information to be amended, please contact our customer support team on 01438 310191. If you are dialling from outside of the UK, please call us on +44 1438 310191.
If we refuse to action any request, we will explain the reasons for our refusal.
- When you have given us consent to use your personal data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time.
- Where we rely on legitimate interest you can ask us to stop processing your personal data for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue in which case we will explain our reason to you.
- You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing and we will always comply with your request.
- To protect your confidentiality, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request that you make under this privacy notice. If you have asked a third party to submit a request, then we will ask them to prove that they have your permission to act on your behalf.
12. How can you stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing?
- If you click the unsubscribe link on any email communication that we send you, we will stop all further emails.
- Please note that you may continue to receive communications from us for a short while after changing your preferences.
13. Contacting the Regulator
If you feel that your data has been handled incorrectly or you are unhappy with any response to your requests regarding your personal data, you have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). You can contact the ICO on 0303 123 1113 or go online to www.ico.org.uk/concerns .
If you are outside of the UK, you have the right to make a complaint to the relevant data protection regulator in your country.
14. Any questions?
We hope that this Privacy Notice is helpful in explaining how we work with personal data to protect your best interests and your legal rights. If you have any questions on any matter that has not been covered, please contact our Data Protection Officer who will be pleased to help you.
- Email DPO@TheWowAwards.co.uk
- Or write to us at The Data Protection Officer, The WOW! Awards, Business and Technology Centre, Bessemer Drive, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England SG1 2DX
This notice was last updated on 7th June 2019