With this policy, we set out your privacy rights and how we collect, use, disclose, transfer and store your personal data.
Last updated: 1st July 2022
This privacy notice explains in detail the types of personal data we may collect about you when you interact with us. It also explains how we store and handle it and keep it safe. This privacy notice aims to inform you about how we collect and process any information that we collect from you, or that you provide to us. It covers information that could identify you (“personal information”) and information that could not. In the context of the law and this notice, “process” means collect, store, transfer, use or otherwise act on information. It tells you about your privacy rights and how the law protects you.
This policy is issued as part of our compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation which came into effect on 25th May 2018. We hope that the following sections will answer any questions that you have but if not, then please do get in touch with us. You can find our contact details at the bottom of this notice.
2. What is The WOW! Awards
- The WOW! Awards is a trading name of The WOW Awards Limited, a company registered in the UK which we will refer to as the Company in this document.
- Our Client(s) are organisations who have contracted with The WOW! Awards to provide the services detailed below and are referred to as such in this document.
- The Company provides a unique employee recognition programme to its Clients. We do this by providing systems for customers of our Clients to tell us (i.e. nominate) when they have received excellent customer service. By recognising the achievement of individuals, teams and companies that have been nominated we encourage people to take pride in their work and deliver more great service in the future.
3. Explaining the legal bases that we rely on for keeping data
The law sets out a number of different reasons for which we may collect and process personal data.
In specific situations, we collect and process your data with your consent. For example, if you tick a box to receive information from us. We will always make it clear what your data will be used for.
b. Contractual obligations
We may process your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations. For example, if you are a customer, Client, or a supplier to the Company then we will process your personal data so that we can meet our contractual obligations.
c. Legal compliance
In some cases, we may be required by law to collect and process your data.
d. Legitimate interest
In this situation, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way that would be considered reasonable to the running of our business and which does not affect your rights, freedom, or interests.
4. When do we collect and process your personal data?
- When you make a nomination for The WOW! Awards.
- When you contact us through our website
- When you become a customer, Client or supplier.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you contact us by any means with queries or requests.
- When you make any kind of appointment with us or attend an event.
- When you choose to complete any survey that we send to you.
- When you have given a third-party permission to share your information with us.
5. Third Party websites
Our platform may contain links to other websites, but that doesn’t mean we endorse those websites. We encourage you to review the privacy policies for these third-party websites because their procedures for collecting, handling, and processing personal data might be different to ours.
6. What sort of personal data do we collect and how do we use it?
- If you have made a nomination, The WOW! Awards we will ask you for your name and email address and/or telephone number on behalf of our Client. We will also collect details of the person you are nominating. If you chose to do so and provided we have your consent, we may also collect digital images that you have uploaded.
- The nomination will be processed by The WOW! Awards, and any information you have chosen to provide will be shared with our Client and the person(s)/team you nominated.
- The WOW! Awards our Client or trusted partners may show your name and digital images only with the nomination on a certificate, online and in our communications and marketing e.g. press releases, publications, training materials and books.
- If you ask us not to, we will not publish your name online.
- We will never sell your data to third parties, and you will never be added to any marketing lists without express consent.
- If you are someone we trade with or have expressed an interest in trading with us, we will hold your name and contact details and keep a record of any communication with you. We may use this data to keep you informed of services and events that we feel would be of value to you. We do not share your data with any other party.
- If you wish to change how we use your data, you will find details in “What are my rights?” section below.
- If you choose not to share your personal details with us, or refuse contact permissions, then we might not be able to provide you with some of the services that you’ve asked for.
- Sometimes we may need to share some of your details with a third party, for example to arrange a delivery. Without sharing your data, we may be unable to fulfil your requests.
7. Combining your data for personalised direct marketing
We may receive and use data from third parties to whom you have given your consent to pass that data onto us, for example organisers of conferences that you have attended. We may combine this data with information that we have received directly from you.
8. Third Party processors
We may undertake marketing activity to promote the Company’s services to new clients.
We periodically appoint digital marketing agents to conduct marketing activity on our behalf, such activity may result in the compliant processing of personal information about you.
Our appointed data processors for this marketing activity is:
9. How we protect your personal data
We know how important data security is to all our customers and contacts. With that in mind, we will treat your data with the utmost care and respect.
- All transactional areas of our websites are protected with HTTPS technology.
- Access to all data is password-protected.
- We do not store any sensitive data.
- We regularly review our systems to make sure that your data is safe and protected from any possible attack. We also train all our people at regular intervals on the importance of data security and our procedures for protecting your data.
10. How long will we keep your personal data?
We will only keep your data for as long as is reasonably necessary and for the purpose for which it was collected.
- Sensitive data such as credit card details are never retained beyond the processing of a transaction.
- If you have made a nomination for The WOW! Awards your personal data that was collected when making a nomination will be retained for a maximum of 26 months unless a request is made beforehand to delete it.
- Client data, including the Client’s employee data will be retained until such time as an update is provided by the Client, and will be retained for the period we continue to provide services to the Client.
- At the point where The WOW! Awards cease to provide services to the Client, agreement will be reached on how all personal data associated with the Client and the Client’s customers will be retained by The WOW! Awards but in any event will not be retained for more than 2 years from the point of termination.
11. Who do we share your personal data with?
- We may share your personal details with trusted third parties for example a delivery company if we are sending something to you. We will only provide the information that they need to complete their specific service.
- We may work with trusted third parties such as IT companies who support our website and business systems. All third-party suppliers will be required to complete a Supplier Questionnaire to confirm that their people are adequately trained in Data Protection Compliance and that they would treat any data they have access to in accordance with our own standards and will not retain any data beyond the specific purpose for which they have been engaged.
- We may occasionally be required to share data with law enforcement bodies for example if a fraud is believed to have occurred.
- We will never share your data with any other third party without your consent.
12. Where your personal data may be processed?
Your data is stored on our servers in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA). Some of our people may be working outside of the UK or EEA and processing your data. We will ensure that all processing of data outside of the UK or EEA receives the same protection as if it were being processed inside the UK or EEA.
13. What are your rights over your personal data?
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data that we hold about you without charge.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing.
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your data after you withdraw that consent.
- That we review any decision made based solely on automatic processing of your data (ie where no person has yet reviewed the outcome and criteria for the decision)
You can contact us to exercise any of these rights at any time:
- To ask for your personal data, please contact The Data Protection Officer, The WOW! Awards, Stevenage Arts & Leisure Centre, Lytton Way,Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England SG1 1LZ or email firstname.lastname@example.org. To ask for your information to be amended, please contact our customer support team on 01438 567 213. If you are dialling from outside of the UK, please call us on +44 1438 567 213. If we refuse to action any request, we will explain the reasons for our refusal.
- When you have given us consent to use your personal data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time.
- Where we rely on legitimate interest you can ask us to stop processing your personal data for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue in which case, we will explain our reason to you.
- You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing and we will always comply with your request.
- To protect your confidentiality, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request that you make under this privacy notice. If you have asked a third party to submit a request, then we will ask them to prove that they have your permission to act on your behalf.
14. How can you stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing?
- If you click the unsubscribe link on any email communication that we send you, we will stop all further emails.
- Please note that you may continue to receive communications from us for a short while after changing your preferences.
Contacting the Regulator
If you feel that your data has been handled incorrectly or you are unhappy with any response to your requests regarding your personal data, you have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). You can contact the ICO on 0303 123 1113 or go online to www.ico.org.uk/concerns.
If you are outside of the UK, you have the right to make a complaint to the relevant data protection regulator in your country.
We hope that this Privacy Notice is helpful in explaining how we work with personal data to protect your best interests and your legal rights. If you have any questions on any matter that has not been covered, please contact our Data Protection Office who will be pleased to help you.
- Email email@example.com
- Or write to us at The Data Protection Officer, The WOW! Awards, Stevenage Arts & Leisure Centre, Lytton Way,Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England SG1 1LZ
About this policy
You can at any time change or withdraw your consent from the Cookie Declaration on our website.
Your consent applies to this website, www.thewowawards.co.uk.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are used to store small pieces of information. The cookies are stored on your device when the website is loaded on your browser. These cookies help us make the website function properly, make the website more secure, provide better user experience, and understand how the website performs and to analyze what works and where it needs improvement.
As with most online services, our website uses first-party and third-party cookies for a number of purposes. The first-party cookies are mostly necessary for the website to function the right way, and they do not collect any of your personally identifiable data.
The third-party cookies used on our website:
- help us to understand how the website performs and how you interact with it
- help to keep our services secure
- help us to provide providing advertisements that are relevant to you
- and generally just provide you with an improved user experience.
What types of cookies do we use?
The below list details the cookies used in our website.
Controlling your cookie preferences
You can manage your cookies preferences by clicking on the “Choose cookies” link in the prompt that pops up when you visit our website. Here you can enable or disable cookie categories according to your preferences. If you wish to change your preferences, you can use the link below to access the settings popup.Manage consent
In addition to this, different browsers provide different methods to block and delete cookies used by websites. To find out more out more on how to manage and delete cookies, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.